The Trump administration canceled $929 million in funds earmarked for California’s high-speed rail project and demanded the state pay back $2.5 billion in funds already spent.
Governor Gavin Newsom vowed to fight for the money, saying it was California’s money and the administration’s move was politically motivated because the state is suing Trump over his emergency declaration.
I think the American taxpayer would disagree with the governor about whose money he was spending.
“California, the state that has wasted billions of dollars on their out of control Fast Train, with no hope of completion, seems in charge!” the president tweeted.
The train project has faced repeated cost overruns and delays since California voters approved it in 2008. The Trump administration argued Tuesday that the state hasn’t provided required matching dollars and can’t complete certain construction work by a 2022 deadline.
Newsom declared in his first State of the State address last week that he planned to scale back the project and focus immediately on building 171 miles (275 kilometers) of track in central California. His office said he still plans to complete the full line, although he said the current plan would cost too much and take too long.
Read the full story from American Thinker
Want more BFT? Leave us a voicemail on our page or follow us on Twitter @BFT_Podcast and Facebook @BluntForceTruthPodcast. We want to hear from you! There’s no better place to get the #BluntForceTruth.